Other Subsidies & Government Programs

You might qualify for a partial or full subsidy for brand new hearing aids if you meet the criteria listed below.

Instructions are given about how to apply for the subsidies.

For Children

B.C. Early Hearing Program – The B.C. Early Hearing Program pays for hearing aids for all newborns through children aged 5 years who have hearing loss. 3 and a half years of funding are provided per child. B.C. Early Hearing Program services may be accessed through public health audiology clinics, which are listed here.

Variety Club – The Variety Club offers grants to families in need of financial assistance to pay for hearing aids for their children. Applications may be submitted from hearing clinics or through the following website: http://www.variety.bc.ca/apply-for-a-grant/individuals

British Columbia Elks Associations – Local Elks Lodges may provide funding for new hearing aids for children in need of financial assistance. Contact your nearest Lodge for more information or to apply for a grant.

B.C. Family Hearing Resource Society – The B.C. Family Hearing Resource Society provides services and support for all families of children with hearing loss. Visit their website for more information.

For Individuals with Very Low Incomes

Starkey Hearing Foundation – The Starkey Hearing Foundation provides free hearing aids for individuals with very little disposable income. Proof of low income is required.

Information can be obtained at your local hearing aid clinic or from this website.

For Individuals receiving assistance from the Ministry of Social Development and Social Innovation

The B.C. government Ministry of Social Development and Social Innovation may pay for hearing aids for individuals with hearing loss who have no other resources available if they are either:

  • eligible for General Health Supplements,
  • designated as a Person with a Disability,
  • a hearing impaired parent of a dependent child,
  • a person who is registered with the Canadian National Institute for the Blind, or
  • a person who is the sole homemaking support for an adult with a cognitive impairment.

For more information, book an appointment at a hearing aid clinic in your area, or inquire at a Ministry of Social Development and Social Innovation office, or at a ServiceBC office.

Locations of the government offices may be found here.

For People Who Work or Volunteer

WorkBC – People with hearing loss who require a hearing aid to help them find a job, or so that they can continue working at their current job, may qualify for a free hearing aid from WorkBC, an initiative of the B.C. government. If you are interested in the WorkBC program, you should book an appointment with a hearing aid clinic. An audiologist will test your hearing and give you a quote for a hearing aid. You can then take the audiogram and quote to the nearest WorkBC office to apply for funding.

Work BC Employment Centre locations can be found here.


For Individuals with hearing loss caused by noise exposure at work

WorkSafe BC – Individuals who believe their hearing loss was caused at least in part by noise exposure at a worksite in British Columbia may apply for free hearing aids from WorkSafe BC. If you think you qualify, you should visit any local hearing aid clinic. A clinician will test your hearing and provide you with application forms that can be filled out and sent to WorkSafe BC. The application process takes 8-10 months.

More information can be obtained here.

Individuals whose hearing loss occurred because of job site noise exposure in other provinces may be covered by worker’s compensation boards from those jurisdictions. Applications may be made through your local hearing aid clinic.

For First Nations or Inuit Persons

First Nations Health Authority – First Nations individuals (who have a status number) receive full subsidies for hearing aids through the First Nations Health Authority.

Health Canada – Inuit individuals living in British Columbia receive full subsidies for hearing aids through Health Canada’s Non-insured health benefits program.

Prior approval is needed before the subsidies are given. First Nations and Inuit individuals with hearing loss may visit any local hearing aid clinic to learn more about how to apply.

For People with Extended Medical Benefit Plans

If you have extended medical (non-MSP) health insurance, you may receive some funding for purchasing hearing aids.

Contact your insurance provider for more details.

Other Resources for People with Hearing Loss